Writing a speech is an intimidating task, but we’re here to help!
During your time at school or university, you will have to deliver speeches more often than not. Most students believe that writing a persuasive speech is a nightmare, but choosing the right topic is a lot more complicated. To keep your audience engaged and interested in what you have to say, you’ll need a robust and relevant topic.
What is a Persuasive Speech?
In a persuasive speech, the speaker aims to convince the audience to agree with their point of view. Your point has to be organized and presented in a way that informs, educates, and persuades the people listening to you. The best speeches are always crisp, concise, and refreshing—they draw the audience in and keep them attentive.
Persuasive speeches are of two types—namely, value and factual. Value-based persuasive speeches focus on whether something is right or wrong. It discusses the moral correctness of an issue. On the other hand, factual persuasive ones use facts and figures to prove a point. Regardless of the type you pursue, you’re making claims you need to establish to your audience by making these speeches. So when choosing a topic to base your speech on, make sure it’s relevant and engaging so your audience is familiar with it.
- Technology- Advantages and Disadvantages Introduction
- 15 Ways You Can Improve Your Academic Writing Skills
List of Topics
Your choices are infinite when choosing a topic to speak on. To make your life a little easier, we’ve prepared an extensive list of some of the best persuasive speech topics of 2022 below:
College & Career
- Should college fees be reduced globally?
- The benefits of taking a gap year before college.
- Has the traditional college model become outdated in today’s digital age?
- Should you pursue a career based on your passion or earning capacity?
- Should everyone go to college?
Art, Media & Culture
- Should art be a compulsory discipline?
- Should tattoos still be considered “unprofessional”?
- Do romantic books and movies portray an unrealistic idea of love?
- Does watching movies or TV shows about teenage suicide encourage or prevent it?
- Should all national museums be free to citizens?
- Should sex education be taught in all schools?
- Are grades an accurate measurement of learning?
- What are the benefits of teaching art and music in high school?
- Should schools be required to include courses regarding mental health?
- Should students on the Autism spectrum be integrated into regular classrooms?
- Legalisation or criminalisation of marijuana.
- Should vitamins and supplements be more tightly regulated?
- Should animal testing in medical research be illegal?
- Should euthanasia be decriminalised?
- What are the dangers of e-cigarettes, vapes and Juuls to our health?
- Should the minimum wage be increased?
- Is capitalism harmful or beneficial in the long run?
- Should everyone receive paid maternity and paternity leave?
- Would three-day weekends increase productivity?
- Should we tax the rich more?
- Should fuel-run vehicles be banned?
- Should hunting be made illegal?
- Why should we all use reusable bags?
- Should disposable diapers be prohibited?
- Should zoos and animal theme parks be closed?
Politics & Society
- Should prisoners have the right to vote?
- How can the current policy on undocumented immigrants be improved?
- Should the police use rubber bullets instead of real bullets?
- Can prisoners be rehabilitated?
- Would it be better if elected politicians were younger?
- Is cancel culture a positive or negative thing?
- How does social media help jobseekers?
- When should children be allowed to have a cellphone?
- Are social media influencers detrimental to society?
- At what age should children be allowed to be on social media?
Science & Technology
- Should animal testing be banned?
- Should everyone be able to access the internet free of cost?
- What is the best option for renewable energy?
- How much screen time is too much?
- Is AI a threat?
Travel & Tourism
- Should airline tickets be cheaper?
- Is traveling in a guided group monotonous?
- Should Antarctica be open to tourists?
- How does travel make you more inclusive?
- How is ecotourism important for sustainable development?
Tips on Speech Writing
Now that we’ve tackled the issue of selecting a topic, we need to get to the part where you craft your speech. We’ve got a few tips for you:
- Grab their attention from the very beginning.
- Make sure you set a common ground between you and the audience, so they can relate to what you’re saying.
- Be concise with the points you’re making.
- Occasionally repeat the keywords and phrases you want the audience to remember.
- Don’t freak out if you make a mistake.
- Make eye contact when you speak.
One essential point to keep in mind while preparing is to make sure you sound like yourself. It sounds redundant, I know, but it’s crucial if you want to leave an impact on your audience. Just remember that there is no particular right or wrong side—it’s simply about which side you believe in and to convince your audience of it too.
Read Also: Who Invented Homework and Why?
Top Persuasive Speech Topics for Amazing Speeches, TutorBin
Retrieved from https://tutorbin.com/blog/top-persuasive-speech-topics-for-2020/
110 Interesting Persuasive Speech Topics to Impress Your Audience, Shemmassian
Retrieved from https://www.shemmassianconsulting.com/blog/persuasive-speech-topics